Love Story

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What we are having for dinner

This is a recipe for Spaghetti and Meatballs that I got out of the Deceptively Delicious cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld.  Not only do my kids absolutely love these meatballs, but I can actually get my dad to eat them and he hates ground turkey and anything resembling a vegetable or anything else healthy.  This recipe calls for pureed butternut squash which when in season I like to roast and puree myself, freezing the leftovers in usable portions. But it also works just as well to buy it from the frozen section.

SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS

Ingredients:
*1/2 lb lean ground turkey
*1 cup of breadcrumbs
*1/2 cup butternut squash puree
*1 clove garlic, minced
*1/2 tsp salt
*1/4 tsp black pepper
*olive oil
*2 jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce or equivalent (I make my own with diced tomatoes and seasonings)
*1 lb spaghetti (I prefer whole wheat)

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, mix the turkey, breadcrumbs, butternut squash puree, garlic, salt and pepper until well combined. Shape the mixture into 1-inch meatballs and place on a sheet of waxed paper or aluminum foil.
2. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the olive oil (she calls for 2 tsp but I always need more) and then the meatballs and brown for 4 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally.
3. Add the spaghetti sauce, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the meatballs are no longer pink in the center.
4. While this is simmering, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and serve with sauce and meatballs.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! How can I be so hungry and it's only 9:30? Wait...I' pregnant! I'm totally going to try this recipe this weekend. I haven't checked out the Deceptively Delicious cookbook, but I have the Sneaky Chef cookbook (which I hear is very similar) and really like that!

    ReplyDelete

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...