Love Story

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Making Bean Bags

Let the 1st birthday related posts begin! We are going pretty low key when it comes to presents, seeing as he is only turning 1 and his brothers already own 75% of the toys on this planet. I did want one of his gifts to be homemade. I have been so good about doing that for my niece and for other friends and family but not so much with my own boys. So I decided to make him some bean bags...nice and easy but lots of fun for a 1 year old!


What you need:
~ Fabric
~ Beans. I used small white beans (no really, that's the name on the bag!) and it took about 7 1/2 cups worth.
~ Something to cut with
~ Something to sew with

Let's get started:
You'll want to start by cutting squares out of the fabric(s) of your choice. I wanted 10 bean bags made from 5 different colored pieces of fabric so I cut 4 5inx5in squares out of each piece of fabric for a total of 20 squares. I used a rotary cutter just because it made cutting nice and easy but good ol' fashion scissors work just as well:


I decided to make my bean bags a different color on each side so I matched up my color combinations and begin pinning squares together (the right side of the fabrics should be touching):

Now to begin sewing. You could easily do this project by hand but it is of course much faster if you have a sewing machine. You are going to want to sew along 3 sides of your square, leaving one side open so you can fill them:


Flip your square right side out and fill it with beans. I used 3/4 a cup, you can adjust that based on how full you want your beanbags:





You ready to finish 'er up? Fold down the open side and pin it shut. Then sew across the top and voila...you have yourself a beanbag!





I love this project because it took minimal time and very few materials. I am hoping that Isaiah loves them as much as I do!

Aren't they pretty?

If you are wanting something a little more elaborate, check out these counting bean bags.

This project was featured over at The Happy Housewife, Attempting Aloha, and Play Pennies:




7 comments:

  1. Found this over at The Happy Housewife. Love them! I pinned it for the future. I would be sewing mine by hand, but still think it's do-able!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Thanks for reminding me! (found you via The Happy Housewife). Pinned and scheduled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you ladies found me! I can tell you that all 3 of my boys (5, 4, and 1) love playing with these together. The only problem we have ran into is when they don't get put away and the cats decided to play with them. Kitty claws and thin fabric make for beans everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much did it cost you for the fabric and the beans? Did you have extra fabric or just enough?

    I LOVE this idea and need to make them super cheap.

    It's funny that you said that you have to put them up before the cat gets them, we have 2 dogs and I was thinking the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beans are super cheap...it took about 2 of those bags (7 1/2 cups) and that is only a couple dollars. If you buy them in bulk they get even cheaper and you can use the leftovers to cook with. The fabric I got at Joann's when they did their full page of coupons that you could use all together so normally $10 for the 5 fat quarters but I got it for probably $5. So under $10. But you could easily use fabric you have on hand or scraps. There was definitely fabric leftover from the fat quarters, you could probably get a 4 or 5 beanbags out of everyone but I wanted different colors. It really is inexpensive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an excellent simple tutorial! I'm linking it to my "Gifts for Boys" post in my Christmas series. :)

    Aloha,
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...