Love Story

Friday, September 11, 2009

I remember


On the morning of September 11th, terrorists hijacked four commercial jet planes and attempted to fly them into several U.S. targets. One of the planes, American Airlines Flight 11, crashed into Tower One of the World Trade Center at 8:50 AM. United Airlines Flight 175 crashed into Tower Two at 9:04 AM. As the world watched Tower Two collapsed to the ground at about 10:00 AM. Unfortunately, this horrible scene was duplicated at 10:30 AM when Tower One crashed to the ground. This terrorist attack brought about the death of approximately 3,000 men, women and children from nations around the world. ~ from : http://americanhistory.about.com/od/terroris1/p/wtc_September11.htm


I know that I will never forget that day. Where I was, how I found out, the feeling of helplessness that everyone shared. I was a sophmore in college at WSU and was awoken by my mom calling bright and early. "You need to get up and watch the news," she said when I answered. I was like, are you kidding? Why would I get up this early to watch the news? She preceded to tell me what had happened. I rushed to turn on the tv in time to see the second plane crash. I just watched in complete disbelief. My first thought was to wake up my roommate whose dad was in the military. Surely this would effect her more than me. If you knew my roommate at the time you won't be surprised to now she wanted nothing to do with getting out of bed. So I just sat and watched by myself. Overwhelming footage of people in complete disarray. News anchors breaking down from the trauma of it all. I remember thinking about how this was going to change our world as we knew it. Would we go to war? Would the war come here and disrupt our everyday life? Would they start attacking more cities? Where would it be safe to go? All I could do was pray. I went to work that night and as customers came through they all wanted to talk about what had happened. You could tell there was a strong need to connect to others who were feeling as helpless as they did.


I will never forget the images of people falling from those buildings. I will never forget the fireman, policeman and other service people who risked their own lives to help those in need. I will never forget watching children on tv leaving signs trying to find their moms and dads, pleading to the camera through tears. I will never forget how people came together for a long time after that. I WILL NEVER FORGET.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...