Love Story

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Master List of Substitutions for Baking

Honestly, this post is mostly for myself! A place for me to keep all the substitutions I commonly use during baking so I don't have to hunt around for them when I'm in a pinch. Of course by putting it here I hope that some of the rest of you can benefit as well:)

Baking Powder Substitute (as found here)
Mix 2 parts cream of tartar with 1 part baking soda

Buttermilk Substitute  (as found here)
To make 1 cup of buttermilk:
  -Place 1 Tbsp of white vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup.
  -Add enough milk to bring the mixture to the 1 cup line.
  -Let stand for 5 minutes, then use as much as your recipe calls for.

Egg Substitute
Ideas based on it's role in the recipe here 

Molasses Substitute (as found here)
Replace 1 cup of molasses with one of the following:
  -1 cup dark corn syrup, honey, or maple syrup
  -3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar *best choice if molasses flavor is vital*
  -3/4 cup granulated sugar plus 1/4 cup water

Self-Rising Flour Substitute (as found here)
One cup self-rising flour equals:
  -1 cup all purpose flour 
  -1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  -1/8 tsp salt

This list will continue to grow and change as I find different or new substitutions. I would love to hear about any of your favorite go-to swap outs as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...