Love Story

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas Crack

I am starting this post with a warning - If you are trying to lose weight or maintain your figure during this holiday season, this is not the recipe for you. Just stop reading right now because once you know about the crack, you won't be able to go back!! Okay, you've been sufficiently warned.

I stumbled upon this recipe and heard hundreds of raves about it on a baby site I am on. I avoided looking further into it because something about the name made me think it was going to be some white peppermint concoction which, while I don't mind in small doses during the holidays, isn't exactly my favorite. But after having it come up over and over I finally gave in and read the ingredients. From that moment on I knew I had stumbled onto something amazing. Let me just say...I had no idea. This is the end result (trust me, no picture can do this justice...you have to taste it!):


What's in it you ask? Really...you're sure you want to know? Okay, here it is:

CHRISTMAS CRACK
Ingredients:
2 sticks butter (real butter tastes best)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 12 oz bag chocolate chips
1 layer saltine crackers on a greased or lined baking tray (it takes 1 1/2 to 2 sleeves of saltines to fill a 12x17 jelly roll pan)

Directions:
- Grease your pan (it works best to have a cookie sheet or other pan with sides). I tried parchment paper to avoid a mess but the toffee mixture got under it and made it stick to the pan anyway.
- Put one layer of saltine crackers onto the greased pan - set aside

- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Melt together butter and brown sugar. Boil for 3 minutes while stirring non-stop

- Pour butter/sugar mixture over crackers and spread evenly across all the crackers

- Bake at 400F for 5 minutes
- Sprinkle 1 bag chocolate chips over the tray and let sit until you can spread the chocolate over the crackers

- Let cool in the fridge or other cool place until chocolate is hardened.
- Break apart into pieces and enjoy!

I have been keeping mine in the fridge because I like it cold but it should keep in a sealed container for up to a week. But I dare you...no, double dog dare you to keep it around that long. I know it won't last in our house!!



12 comments:

  1. My mom has made this for years (called by a different name), and you are absolutely right. Sooooooo good!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap...that looks SOOOOO yummmmmy!!! Crack? Sounds about right :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually had this on a bus trip to an ARMY-NAVY game...someone passed it around and I loved it..glad to find this recipe..thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it so good, Joyce? Thanks for stopping by, glad I was able to help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make this and add shredded coconut on the top layer too - so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, Sometimes I switch up the base and use pretzel sticks or you could also use graham crackers.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the fun add-on and swap out ideas, Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I add pecans or sea salt to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! Sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My recipe for this, a.k.a. Toffee Saltines, calls for chopped walnuts to be sprinkled on top of the melted chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. White chocolate chips do not work. They do not melt properly. Still tasted OK but was not pretty

    ReplyDelete

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...