Love Story

Monday, May 2, 2011

Let us not forget

Just over a week ago was Resurrection Sunday. Because of the type of blogs I follow, my dashboard was filled with posts celebrating our Savior and what he did for us. We remembered why Jesus died, so that no man would be lost and that each of us would have a way to the Father. He came for sinners, for the lost, for the least among us and we all celebrated the fact that He had done this.

Now as I get on my different social networking sites today I see post after post with people celebrating the death of Osama Bin Laden. And I get it. Really, I do. In a way it really is a victory for the military and for our country. But it is also a loss. The Lord does not wish for any one of us to perish without knowing him. "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9. The reaction we should be having is that of mourning. Not mourning the person, as obviously his life is not one to be celebrated, but mourning the loss of his soul.

While thousands of people are dancing in the streets and raising a glass in celebration of this fallen enemy, I would call all of you Christians to take a different approach in reacting to this news.
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice." Proverbs 24:17. This is a time to truly practice what we believe. We believe that Christ died for all and so that has to include Osama Bin Laden. That may not sit well with your flesh but spend some time praying on it and I think you will see that that is God's heart. Let your reaction be a reflection of God's love for all of us. I guarantee that this will stand out from the majority. It will cause people to question. It will present the opportunity to witness. Don't begrudge those who aren't there yet...it is not an easy place for some to come to.

Some people who have said it better than I can:
-http://www.revelife.com/746839071/the-death-of-osama-bin-laden-and-the-christian-reaction/
-http://flashtrafficblog.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/osama-bin-laden-now-in-hell/
-http://blogschmogme.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/mixed-emotions-about-osama-bin-laden/-http://carrythefireministry.blogspot.com/2011/05/christian-response.html

Now I realize that not everyone who reads this will agree with me. And I also understand that this can be an emotionally heated topic. I would love to hear your opinions, whatever they may be. I just ask that we deliver them in a respectful manner. My hope is that we can have some candid discussion from all of this that will lead to greater understanding, whatever perspective we come at this from.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I watched the masses in the media of people reveling in Bin Laden's death and I just felt an oddness about it. Your blog hit the nail on the head. It is a sad soul that is lost in eternity. The Bible verses you shared say it so well.

    My 6 year old brother was killed when I was 3. The man that did it is still in prison. I had my younger years filled with anger about it all. But around 13 years old I gave it all to God. I feel sorrow for the man that is so distanced from God and do wish a true repentance.

    Very tough blog you put out there Chrystal, and very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I am so sorry for the loss of your brother. What an amazing testimony of forgiveness you have in that story. I will pray that he comes to know the Lord and repents for all he has done.
    Thanks again for taking the time to share what is on your mind in regards to this topic.

    ReplyDelete

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...