I did it...I took the next step in my couponing journey. I have moved on from just hitting the two grocery stores in my neighborhood and am planning specific trips based on the deals I can get. Today I did my first Walgreens run and am happy with what I came out with. I am sure I could have done better but as I advised all of you in my last post, I did what I could where I am at right now and that is good enough for me!
Originally I had one small transaction planned but after some help from this post at The Krazy Coupon Lady and some time spent with my Walgreens ad this morning, I decided to be brave and plan out two transactions. Why two? The second one took advantage of all the register rewards I earned in the first transaction!
So let me break it all down for you:
Transaction #1 -
- 1 Dove Men+Care Deodorant on sale $3.99. I had a $1.00 off coupon making it = $2.99 (this also printed $3 Register Rewards)
- Gillete ProGlide Fusion Razor on sale for $9.89 (at my store the sticker price still said $10.99 but it rang up on sale so watch for that at your store). I had a $4.00 off coupon making it = $5.89 (this printed $5 Register Rewards)
Total = $15.63. I saved $15.90 AND got back $11 in Register Rewards*
*For those of you new to Walgreens Register Rewards are earned through special deals. They print out like manufacturers coupons to be used on a future purchase. If you go here you can read more on this and how they can be used. I will say that even after reading the policy, I had to try it first to understand. I thought they printed in single $1 coupons and that I had to have one item per coupon. While you do have to have one item per coupon, they print out in the amount they say they will. So in my first transaction I got two $3.00 coupons and one $5.00. I could have planned my second transaction differently had I known this before but hey, live and learn, right?
Okay, hopefully I haven't totally confused you with the Register Rewards talk. Let's move on to the next transaction:
Transaction #2 -
- The tuna was $0.99 each with a Walgreens coupon (from the ad) so I paid = $2.97
- Mars and Dove candies are on sale for $.039 so I got 3 for = $1.17
- Royal Gelatin was 5/$1.00 with a Walgreens coupon (from the ad) so I paid = $1.00.
This is where all those Register Rewards came in handy. Now I was trying to use filler items to attach to the Register Rewards thinking I was going to have 11 separate coupons to attach them to, this wasn't the case so some of the stuff was unnecessary. It was still a good deal nonetheless:
Total=$3.33. I saved $24.43 on this transaction (WOOHOO! I think this is my biggest savings to date:)
At the end of it all I spent $18.96 and saved $40.33 and got all of this: