Love Story

Monday, May 16, 2011

A willing heart

As I am approaching the end of the Ruth study I am leading in my women's small group, I can see God shining a spot light on my life and asking me to examine what I see. Am I willing to do more than read about it and discuss it? Am I willing to live what I know to be right and true?

For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10)

Kelly Minter (author of the book we are studying) puts it perfectly into perspective when she says, "One of the most tragic ways for a Christian to spend her life is to be in the right place with all the right resources but without a willing heart." Ouch - this one speaks to me. I can say that I am probably in that place right at this moment. I know what I need to do, I am being given the opportunity yet I am stalling because I can't get my heart on board.

As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. (Ephesians 4:1)

I don't know what's worse...that I am in this place or that I KNOW I am in this place and still can't seem to make a decision. It shouldn't be such a battle. A battle between my flesh and God's will. Ultimately, if I want to follow him I should desire the things he does. I should desire his will. And I should want it in my heart. But I guess that response isn't always easy or automatic. This is when I make a decision. Do I give in to my flesh or do I press harder into God and dig further into his word until my heart chooses to obey? Until my heart longs for the things he longs for.

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. (Psalm 51:10)

I know the answer. I choose him. It's not the easy choice even though it should be. It would be easier to react to what I am feeling at this moment. But I want to live the life I was called to live and that means rising above what I feel. I know that he chooses me each and every day. He knew my name before there was time, he loves me when I am at my most unlovable, through him I am saved. So I choose him. One.day.at.a.time. And I know my heart will follow.

Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. (Psalm 25:5)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...