Love Story

Saturday, September 29, 2012

More {non-cereal} breakfast ideas

We are continuing to enjoy the variety of food that is showing up on our breakfast table after deciding to cut back on our daily cereal habit. I am excited to continue to have fresh ideas to share with you as well!

The morning my kids woke up and saw popsicles on the breakfast menu, they thought they had won the lottery! I made these simple popsicles the night before using greek yogurt thinned out with a little bit of milk, honey, apple and banana chunks. We tried dipping in honey and rolling in granola before eating them but that didn't stick so well. They also had homemade bagels that I slit down the middle and stuffed with peanut butter.

My kids have always been crazy about pancakes and waffles and I had assumed that was mostly about the syrup. But come to find out that smothered in peanut butter and honey made waffles equally delicious and they were devoured just as fast as ever! (They requested the leftover popsicles to go with it:)

Sticking with the "waffle" theme, these waffle sandwiches are quick, easy and satisfying. I took two pieces of wheat bread and spread a thin layer of peanut butter on each side and then topped one side with thinly sliced bananas and a drizzle of syrup. Put it all together and put it in my waffle iron for a minute and it was done. You could do all kinds of tasty combinations here, use your imagination!

This bowl of yogurt was absolutely devoured by my 4 year old. Greek yogurt, honey, granola, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts and apple chunks with a dash of cinnamon:

I had a motive beyond a good breakfast when I made this steel-cut oatmeal in the crock pot overnight. I was trying to get rid of an overpowering onion smell left behind from dinner so I added pureed sweet potatoes, cinnamon and nutmeg which created a wonderful fall smell in the morning, as well as a delicious breakfast! My kids liked it with a little milk and syrup:

The oatmeal created some leftovers so I used that to make pancakes for the next morning. I used 2 cups oatmeal, 1 cup (more as needed to thin it out) milk, 2 eggs, 3 Tbsp melted butter, 3/4 c flour, and 2 tsp baking powder. These are a little bit more delicate then regular pancakes so let them cook for several minutes on each side before flipping:

Keep watching for breakfast ideas...I am going to try to focus on more protein based recipes next time since these all seemed to fall in the carb camp. Feel free to share what you are feeding your family for breakfast, you may see your idea pop up in my next post!

1 comment:

  1. Those are some fun ideas for breakfast! I'm not a cereal fan and I have a very picky eater, so I've been experimenting with making some gluten free or GAPS diet breakfast foods just because they're usually made with protein & fiber rich flours. Some of the things I've found are pretty tasty (although definitely more expensive).

    ReplyDelete

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...