Love Story

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Leftover Oatmeal Muffins

Hope you all don't mind all these food posts!! Our schedule is picking up around here and I am feeling a little frazzled. Cooking is something that calms me. So is eating actually, so it is no surprise that I don't do so well in the weight department. Anyway, thought I would share this recipe that used the leftover oatmeal from the Peaches N Cream Oatmeal I posted yesterday. I am trying to do a better job of not being so wasteful and while we could eat the leftover oatmeal, it doesn't always actually happen. So I started looking for some recipes that included leftover oatmeal and found this one for muffins. I thought the peaches and cream would add an extra special touch and it did. The bonus was I also got to use my new Kitchen Aid that my in-laws gave me for my birthday. Let me just say I have a new love!! And it gave me the opportunity to spend some time in the kitchen with my two older boys. They like to help whenever I bake and did a great job helping make this muffins. I am excited to try this recipe with some of the other variations of oatmeal I am planning to make.

Ingredients:
* 1 cup leftover, cooked oatmeal
* 3/4 cup milk
* 2 Tbsp melted butter
* 2 Tbsp syrup or honey
* 1 1/2 cups flour (I used white, the original recipe called for wheat pastry flour)
* 1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, combine leftover oatmeal and milk; using a wire whisk if needed to get lumps out of oatmeal. Add egg and mix well. Add melted butter and syrup or honey, mix well.
3. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add milk/oatmeal mixture and mix until combined, making sure not to over mix. Dived batter in muffin pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on cooling rack.

**In using my mixer I just did all of step two and then mixed dry ingredients in separate bowl. I then added dry ingredients into the wet ones already in the mixing bowl and finished mixing.



Don't they just look delicious? They are, trust me. They smelled and tasted like cake! I am so excited to not only found a recipe that will help me use up that extra oatmeal but also one that tastes so delicious. Planning to make a couple dozen tomorrow with the remaining oatmeal and then freezing them to have later for snacks/lunches/sides.


*EDITED TO ADD*
Okay, I wrote this right after eating them warm out of the oven. Once they cooled they weren't as good. Not horrible, but not good. The kids still liked eating them but Jeremy and I weren't too impressed. I think they need something more than honey or syrup...like 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Also I think I would add in more of what was in the oatmeal, like peaches. Just to give it some more flavor. I am going to mess with this recipe and if I find something better I will repost. Let me know if you try something that works.








 Lilypie First Birthday tickers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...