Love Story

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Thinking I need to retake elementary science!

 I have been planning for awhile to switch from store bought cleaners to homemade ones, mostly for money saving purposes. I have been using natural cleaners for awhile so the issue of toxins in our cleaners isn't my main motivator but I have been trying really hard to find different ways to cut some of our unnecessary spending. So when hubby told me the toilet bowl cleaner ran out the other day I actually got excited. I can finally start trying out some of these cleaning remedies I had been reading up on!

The boys bathroom has been in need of a good clean for a little while now so I decided to start with the toilet. The directions I found said to mix 1/4 cup baking soda with 1 cup vinegar. So I did this in a small 2 cup measuring cup. Boy was  I surprised when I added the baking soda! It instantly foamed and spilled out all over my counter. I guess I got a bonus clean with that one! I just had to chuckle because I should have known this would happen. Isn't that the basic recipe for volcano lava in science experiments? Needless to say I tried again, pouring the ingredients straight into the toilet bowl. It didn't have quite the same reaction, I think because of all the water in the bowl, so I may try mixing it ahead of time when I clean next. I will just make sure to use a bigger bowl!

3 comments:

  1. I've been reading up on home cleaning supplies lately myself and am shocked by everything you can do with a little baking soda and vinegar!
    We started using Shaklee cleaning products 2 years ago and have loved them! They are non-toxic, safe for the environment (and kids!) and best of all CHEAP! The stuff lasts forever - we've not even gone through half of our concentrate in the last 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised too...never knew those two ingredients could do so much:)
    I have never heard of Shaklee. I was using products from Meleuluca for awhile and those were also concentrates that you mixed with your own water. I just didn't like the smell of tea tree oil and the requirement to buy so much each month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrystal, I think that I would have done the same thing!! We both know this...just wouldn't be thinking about a lava explosion at the time. A little bit funny :)

    ReplyDelete

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...