Love Story

Friday, June 8, 2012

I think it's going to rain today


That title immediately makes me think of watching Beaches with my mom and bawling when the best friend dies. If you have never heard the song I am referencing, this version by Norah Jones is one of my favorites.
Picture found HERE
Sorry, that's a little off track. Where was I going with this? Ah, yes - I hate rainy seasons. Not literal rain...the wet weather kind I actually like. Raincoats and boots are so cute and rain is such a great excuse to sit inside and cuddle up close with the ones you love with a warm drink in hand and a favorite movie on the screen. The emotional rain, life's storms...not a fan. Sure, it's inevitable. We all go through it. And I have even come to realize that is necessary and usually serves a purpose. But I don't like it (insert pout lip here).
Picture found HERE
I feel like I am totally in the middle of a rainy season right now. Some days it feels like it's sprinkling and I can go about my day to day tasks without noticing anything other than slightly damp hair. But other days, it feels like I am smack dab in the middle of a monsoon and holding on for dear life. Drenched to the bone with no sign of sunshine on the horizon. You ever feel like that?
Picture found HERE

I can honestly say that there are points where drowning seems like a possibility. Even, dare I say, an improvement. But it is when I am feeling like that that I am most thankful that I have an awesome anchor in the storm. That I can find truth that is like a life preserver when the water gets too deep. That there is sunlight peeking through those clouds that remind me that this too shall pass.
Picture found HERE
 Let's skip the metaphors and get to the meat of it. There is a savior bigger than any storm that life might bring. He is so mighty that even the winds and water obey him. Forget about a little rain! Don't want to take my word for it? Good! Let's check it against the infallible word of God - Luke 8:22-25 tells me it is so: One day Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's go over to the other side of the lake." So they got into a boat and set out. As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Master, Master, we're going to drown!" He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. "Where is your faith?" he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, "Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him."

I needed to read that today. I have been crying out just like the men in that boat, "Master, Master, I'm going to drown!" He hears me. He hasn't calmed my storm yet but I have faith that He will. And that what I will learn from this will be worth the pain. Maybe you can relate to me but that tired and weary feeling is causing you to doubt that it will ever end. I can so understand that feeling. Give it to Him, will you? Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28) Doesn't rest sound nice right about now? It sure does to me.

I pray that I will get to the point where I no longer hate the rain. That I even one day welcome it if it means that it helps me draw closer to Christ. Lord let me change the cry of my heart to Jesus Bring the Rain. I'm not there yet...but I will get there. Will you join me?


1 comment:

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...