Love Story

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Heart of a Drummer Boy

There is no question that I am a HUGE fan of Christmas music. I especially love the more touching ballad type songs like O Come All Ye Faithful and Holy Night. Something about the words describing the true meaning of Christmas that speak to my soul. Maybe it's the sentiment of the season, or maybe I have just had one to many eggnog lattes, but this week I surprised myself by tearing up at a not so typically emotional Christmas song - The Little Drummer Boy. These lyrics in particular:

Little Baby
Pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too,
Pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring
Pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give our King
Pa rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum
Shall I play for you!
Pa rum pum pum
On my drum.

Mary nodded
Pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time
Pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him
Pa rum pum pum
I played my best for Him
Pa rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum
Rum pum pum pum
Then He smiled at me
Pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.

I guess it is something about the imagery of that poor little boy coming before baby Jesus. He was not dressed to impress, did not come bearing gifts of gold or other monetary worth. He just came as he was to worship his new king. He gave the gift he had to give, a song of worship on his drum. Isn't that what Jesus wants from all of us? To come before him just as we are. It isn't about what others can do. I don't see the Drummer Boy measuring himself against the wise men in this scenario. It's about offering up the very best gift that we have to give, as humble as that my appear.

"Give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness." (1 Chronicles 16:29)

My prayer this Christmas season and beyond is that I develop the heart of the drummer boy - that I would come just as I am to worship my king, offering the best of what I have been given with no concern for how that measures up to anyone else.

1 comment:

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...