Love Story

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Nathan's Dinner Take 2

About a month ago I had Nathan take on dinner with me from planning to shopping to cooking. For those of you who don't remember, catch up here. For those of you who do remember, this time was a much smoother experience! When I asked him what he wanted to make he said, "Spaghetti and Meatballs" and I just shook my head and reminded him of what it takes to make meatballs. Maybe we will try to tackle that another day but I thought we would go for something that might have more successful results this time.

I will have to thank my fellow bloggers for providing the inspiration for tonight's dinner. As I was checking out a new blog Nathan came up behind me to peek over my shoulders. He saw what I was looking at on the screen and exclaimed, "I want THAT for dessert!" So we began this meal planning session with the dessert under our belt. Thank you Make and Takes for the idea!

Not minutes later I was onto another blog looking at these delicious Stuffed Pizza Rolls and I knew they would be a perfect meal for my little pizza lover to attempt. Add in a salad and we had our dinner planned out. Fast forward to meal day and Nathan was hopping up and down when I told him it was his turn to help. He even said, "This time I won't get upset mom." On top of that, as I called him into the kitchen to prepare the dessert in the afternoon, he invited his little brother to come help him. I knew that this was going to be a good day. So the three of us enjoyed some time around the table eating putting M&M's on the crescent rolls and rolling them up. While they were baking we whisked up some frosting out of powdered sugar, milk and vanilla and before we knew it dessert was done. Doesn't it look delicious?


When dinner time approached Nathan was busy coloring some new Toy Story 3 pages he had found but without grumbling put it away to help out. He helped cut the dough, grate the cheese, fill the balls and prepare the salad. We had one, "I don't want to do this any more mom," with a reminder from me that I don't get to stop in the middle of preparing dinner so he has to stay to finish. That was all it took and he finished up. You want to know his favorite part in all of it? Serving everyone! He loves to dish up and take everyone their plates at the table. So funny. Here's how it all went down (don't mind the pjs, littlest brother was sick today so we stayed home from church and the kids got to be in pajamas all day):







Don't those look delicious? They were even better than they look. Nathan got rave reviews and gobbled up 5 of these bad boys himself. I have to say this was the experience I was hoping for last time and am so glad I got. He took some responsibility in helping feed the family and I got some precious one on one time with my favorite biggest brother. Life is good!

3 comments:

  1. I love that you involve your kids in cooking like that. And I so can't wait to try those pizza rolls. They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this blog today and the pizza rolls looked so good we made them for dinner tonight. Yummy :) Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked them! There are so many possibilities...I would like to do something with spinach and Alfredo sauce:)

    ReplyDelete

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...