Love Story

Monday, March 1, 2010

My first sewing project

A few years ago my mom bought me a sewing machine. I must admit that I was excited at the idea of learning to sew but didn't get around to it for sometime. Last year I bought this awesome book that walks you through sewing and gives tons of projects for beginners, including several of the patterns. I bought the fabric to start some projects but yet again, everything sat for awhile. One project I was going to do was an apron so I had bought some brown fabric and some pink fabric with brown polka dots on it. When I got pregnant I started noticing all of these nursing covers around and thought that would be a simple project to tackle so I decided to use my apron fabric for that.

I decided to wing it and just looked online to get some measurement ideas. I actually made the length into the width because I like my stomach to be covered when nursing (I think that bugs me more than the idea of my boobs showing!). It is also reversible and has a pocket on each side to hold things like breast pads, binkies and spit up rags. I have some ideas for how to improve on these in the future but I am proud of my first go around. I must admit this looks like it could double as an apron so I didn't stray too far from my original project idea. Here are pictures of both sides of the nursing cover. I would have put it on for the pictures so you could get a better idea of what it looks like but I was all scrubbed out and ready for bed when I took the pictures and didn't feel like exposing myself in that way:)
 






The nursing covers I looked at online used metal rings for the neck straps to make them adjustable. This is something I would like to incorporate into my next cover. Any other suggestions on how I could make this better? I think I could probably make it smaller too, it is kind of mammoth. I just really wanted adequate coverage!

8 comments:

  1. Very cute! What a great idea for a first sewing project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!! I say, if you want it big...keep it that way. That's the cool thing about doing it yourself...it's custom :) I really need a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute :) I think it turned out great!
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks:) I am pretty happy with it. I actually am making a second one because I had enough fabric so I am giving one away to a pregnant friend. Then I am moving onto a purse...I am enjoying this sewing thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love it! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this! I really like it and it's great for when I'm out and about and end up feeding in the car, I hate being exposed in public and this helps a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you like it Tiffany:) Loving the pics of your little girl, she is such a doll and I hope to meet her in person soon.

    ReplyDelete

I sure love hearing from you...so don't be shy, feel free to share what's on your heart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...